Wednesday, March 12, 2014

LETTERS TO THE SLUSH PILE #8

Dear ---------,

Thank you for submitting your story -------- to On Spec for our consideration. What can I say? It's certainly one of the most original pieces I have ever read. Unfortunately, this kind of originality isn't something we would normally buy.

I suppose you can take creatures A, B, C, and D, and give them an unusual reason for being together. And I suppose you can introduce yet another type of being from an entirely different sub-genre as a helper who is there to fix things when they go wrong. But you won't tell me a solid story, if you do. What you've given me is an idea with little in the way of plot. There is no drama, no challenges for your main character to meet (other than to fix things, which he does), the story offers no climax - none of that. Without a solid underpinning to your piece in terms of the world you present, or a logical framework (the premise you've given me is convenient, but it doesn't make a lot of sense) your story reads like something out of a strange dream.

Bottom line? You'll be further ahead if you go back to practicing story basics, or learning what they are, if you don't already know.

I wish you all the best with that. 

- Susan.

No comments:

Post a Comment